Brazil’s striker Neymar was close to a rape conviction last month before evidence relieved him of any wrongdoing and his rape accuser has now been charged with extortion in the Brazilian state of Sao Paulo.
According to Reuters on Tuesday, a Sao Paulo court said they had indicted the woman who accused Neymar of rape, charging her with fraud, extortion, and slander, in what could be a major relief for the Paris Saint Germain striker.
Neymar who had expressed his desire to return to Barcelona in the just-closed window was accused of raping Najila Trindade in a Paris hotel room in May, but he alleged the encounter was consensual and prosecutors said in August they were dropping the case against him due to a lack of evidence.
The former Barcelona and Santos was forced to release private chats and lurid photos with the lady as he fought the accusations against him.
Sao Paulo state police also said in a statement on Tuesday they were indicting Trindade’s former husband, Estivens Alves, on fraud charges.
The BBC reported Trindade’s lawyer as saying the indictment had taken him by surprise and that his client rejected the accusations.
The accusation on the Brazil attacker star posed sponsorship headaches for Neymar, as well as hurting his international career.
Read More: Lukaku backed to outscore Ronaldo in Serie A