Uganda & Sundowns’ Onyango Listed Alongside De Gea, Buffon in Best in the World
Ugandan Cranes and Mamelodi Sundowns goalkeeper Denis Onyango has made the list of the top 16 best goalkeepers in the world through The International Federation of Football History & Statistics' (IFFHS) rating.
Onyango, who makes a second appearance on the list since 2016, will be hugely proudly to note that he is the only African player on the list.
“He [Onyango] received one point from the IFFHS jury, which consists of football experts from 90 countries around the world, and ended up in joint-16th position alongside Russia's Igor Akinfeev, Mexico's Guillermo Ochoa and Switzerland's Yann Sommer,” confirmed Soccer Laduma.
Top 16 List:
1. Thibaut Courtois – Belgium (Chelsea/ Real Madrid): 181 points
2. Hugo Lloris – France (Tottenham): 109 points
3. Gianluigi Buffon – Italy (Juventus/PSG): 59 points
4. Keylor Navas – Costa Rica (Real Madrid): 58 points
5. Jan Oblak – Slovenia (Atletico Madrid): 49 points
_ Marc André Ter Stegen – Germany (Barcelona): 49 points
7. Allison Ramses Becker – Brazil (Liverpool): 36 points
8. David De Gea – Spain (Manchester United): 33 points
9. Danijel Subasic – Croatia (AS Monaco): 23 points
10. Manuel Neuer – Germany (Bayern Munich): 20 points
11. Jordan Pickford – England (Everton): 11 points
12. Kasper Schmeichel – Denmark (Leicester City): 9 points
13. Ederson – Brazil (Manchester City): 6 points
14. Samir Handanovic – Slovenia (Inter Milan): 4 points
15. Franco Armami – Argentina ( River Plate): 3 points
16. Denis Onyango – Uganda (Mamelodi Sundowns):1 point
The 33-year-old Onyango missed Sundowns’ CAF Champions win over Leones Vegetarianos on Wednesday night through a knee injury but will be hoping to be fit for the club’s next Absa Premiership game against Baroka on 11 December.