Ingwe mauled by Sofapaka

  Posted: 16 May 12, 20:08

By: Brian Moseti

After falling to a humbling defeat to Nairobi City Stars in their last Kenyan Premier League match, AFC Ingwe Leopards again went down 1-2 to Sofapaka in their Wednesday 16 May meeting.

In the match, AFC started the stronger side with Bernard Mang’oli threatening Sofapaka’s keeper Duncan Ochieng in the ninth minute. He shot, however, went awry.

With the clock running, Sofapaka settled into the match and were dominating the affairs by the 13th minute.

 John Baraza capitalized on the strength to give his side a lead in the 15th minute, heading in a Musa Mudde cross.

Towards the half-hour mark, Mike Baraza drove the ball into the Sofapaka yard and pulled a strong shot.

Keeper Ochieng earned his pay, parrying the ball away.

Baraza was back again in the first minute of first half added time, managing to push the ball into Sofapaka’s net using his hand.

The deed missed the eye of the center referee, who after consultation ruled out the goal and booked the player.

Second half

Coming into the second half AFC’s Mang’oli collided with Sofapaka’s Mudde, leading to the latter being stretchered off, after two minutes on the ground.

He [Mudde] appeared to have been badly hurt, as he gave up his position to Bob Mugalia.

Coach Jan Koops seeing the urgent need to score, brought in Charles Okwemba and Jimmy Bageya, to replace Victor Ochieng and Oscar Kadenge.

However, two minutes later, a defensive mix-up awarded John Baraza another chance, which he used effectively, to double his side’s lead.


Eight minutes later, Martin Imbalambala found the ball just outside the Sofapaka Box. He appropriately drove it goalwards and it deflected off Sofapaka’s defenders to land in the dock.

With the threat of losing the lead looming, Sofapaka sank into defense and shielded it to the end.

After the match, Sofapaka are the tentative champions after the first leg, with five points keeping them away from AFC, who have a match at hand.  


Related Articles

2017 ©