Lionel Messi said Argentina’s 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw with Peru was ‘more fight than football’.
A strike just before the interval from Real Madrid’s Gonzalo Higuain levelled Carlos Zambrano’s 22nd minute opener but Messi, who was largely anonymous in the game, believed it was a point gained for Alejandro Sabella’s side.
- The pitch did not help, you could not play touch football, but that’s not an excuse, Messi told reporters in Lima.
- It was a tight match that was more fight than football, but games of this type when you are the visitors are always like this and you must be strong.
- It was a positive result as we still lead the group and we will have to win our next game against Uruguay.
Peru made good their pre-match promise to mark the Barcelona man out of the game, something Messi touched upon.
- It was like they planned for it, that they wanted it that way, yet we are still undefeated.
- We would have preferred to win but it was important not to lose and a draw is fine, explained Messi.